Language Scientific’s Chinese Translation Services
Language Scientific provides high quality Chinese translation services, supplying technical, medical and scientific translation, localization and interpreting into and out of Chinese. We are a US-based language services company serving over 1,500 global corporations. Our specialization, focus, industry-leading quality management standards and customer-centered attitude have earned us the trust of many of the world’s best technology, engineering, biomedical and pharmaceutical companies.
Language Scientific has two divisions—Technical and Engineering Localization and Translation Services Division and Medical and Pharmaceutical Localization and Translation Services Division. Both groups provide a full range of Chinese language services including:
- Chinese Medical and Technical Translation
- Software and Mobile App Localization
- Website Translation and SEO Optimization
- Multimedia and eLearning Localization
- Professional Interpreting
- Linguistic Validation and Cognitive Debriefing
- On-Demand Phone Interpreting
- Multilingual Transcreation Services
- Multilingual DTP and Graphics
- Corporate Technical Consulting
- Multilingual Project Staffing
We offer a unique depth of subject-matter expertise via our Advanced Scientific Knowledge network (ASKnetwork™) and globalization know-how for companies in the Aerospace & Defense, Chemical, Clinical Research, Energy, Healthcare, Industrial Manufacturing, Medical Device, Pharmaceutical, Technology and related industries. Our ASKnetwork™ of over 6,000 specialists comprises multilingual engineers, doctors and scientists working in over 75 countries on 5 continents.
Language Scientific’s unique Accreditation Program for Technical and Medical Translators, along with a rigorous Quality Management System, ensures the quality standards that our clients have come to depend on. Language Scientific is an ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 17100:2015 certified company.
At Language Scientific, we are driven by the mission to set the new Standard of Quality for technical translation and localization. It is this mission that drives our success and sets us apart as a company. When you need precise global communication, Language Scientific is the clear choice.
Chinese Language Statistics/Facts:
Mandarin Chinese is the official language of China, Taiwan and one of four official languages of Singapore. More than one billion people speak Mandarin, making it the most commonly spoken language worldwide. Although Mandarin has the highest number of native speakers, it is not the only language spoken in China. China recognizes 292 different languages or dialects of the Chinese language. Geographically, Mandarin is most popular in the north and regions of the southwest. Mandarin Chinese is also one of six official languages of the United Nations. Mandarin is the most popular dialect of Chinese among youth and those residing in and around the majority of cities. However, Cantonese is the dialect of choice in both Hong Kong and Macau.
Chinese—oral vs. written languages
There are two different writing systems of Chinese used around the world—Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.
|Hong Kong||Primarily Traditional|
There are many more varieties of spoken Chinese that are not mutually comprehensible—some are as far from each other as Russian and English. Each variety can be written either in simplified or traditional Chinese.
|In the south, mainly Guangdong, southern Guangxi, Macau, Hong Kong.|
|Hakka||Widespread, especially between Fujian and Guangxi.|
|Hsiang (Hunan)||South central region, in Hunan|
|Kan||Shanxi and south-west Hebei.|
|Mandarin||A wide range of dialects in the northern, central, and western regions. North Mandarin, as found in Beijing, is the basis of the modern standard language.|
|Northern Min||Min (The north-west Fujian Pei.)|
|Southern Min||Min (The south-east, mainly in parts of Zhejiang, Nan) Fujian, Hainan Island and Taiwan|
|Wu||Parts of Anhui, Zhejians, and Jiangsu.|
Countries where Mandarin Chinese is spoken:
- United Kingdom
- Malaysia (Peninsular)
- Russian Federation
- United States
- Viet Nam
- Indonesia (Java and Bali)
Chinese Speaking Country Data:
Country: People’s Republic of China
Communist: President Xi Jinping
GDP (ppp): $15,400
Government Type: Communist
Industries: China is the world’s largest exporter. Also leading producer of steel, coal, cement, farm-use chemical fertilizer and television sets. Focus on information technology, consumer products, toys, textiles, ship building, iron and steel, mining, manufacturing, construction and power (thermal, hydro, solar and nuclear).
Semi-Presidential Republic: President Tsai Ing-wen and Premier Lin Chuan
Currency: New Taiwan dollar
GDP (ppp): $48,100
Government Type: Semi-Presidential Republic
Industries: Taiwan is 15th largest economy in the world. Petroleum refining, textiles, iron and steel, machinery, cement, food processing, vehicles, consumer products and pharmaceuticals are major industries. Also has some natural resources.
Country: Hong Kong
Capital: Formerly Victoria/Central
Presidential Limited Democracy: President XI Jinping
Currency: Hong Kong dollar
GDP (ppp): $58,300
Government Type: Presidential Limited Democracy
Industries: Hong Kong has one of highest per capita incomes in the world. Focus on construction, manufacturing, energy, mining, food, beverages, clothing, textiles, printed products, fabricated metal products, electronics, plastics, watches and clocks.
Parliamentary Republic: President J.Y. PILLAY
Currency: Singapore dollar
GDP (ppp): $287,900
Government Type: Parliamentary Republic
Industries: Singapore is the world’s fourth leading financial center, and its port is one of the five busiest ports in the world. The economy depends heavily on exports and refining imported goods, especially in manufacturing. Focus on shipping, banking, tourism, electrical & electronics, chemicals and oil refining. Singapore has the 3rd highest per capita income in the world.
Interesting Chinese Facts:
- There are four different tones to oral Mandarin Chinese and the tonal aspect is difficult for westerners
- Han Chinese is the largest ethnic group in China
- Renminbi is the form of Chinese currency, not the Yuan. Yuan is the actual unit of monetary measurement. Renminbi is the formal term for the currency used in China but Yuan is pretty much used interchangeably. Yuan in China is comparable to the dollar in America, but in China it is not used like the dollar is in America. Renminbi= Currency and Yuan= Unit
- Qing Dynasty was the last dynasty of China which ended in 1911/1912 and was replaced by the Republic of China
- In 2013, China decided to relax the one-child policy, and aloud families to have two children if one parent, rather than both parents were an only child.
- The numbers 4 and 14 signify death in China and should be avoided. The number 8 is lucky.
- Fortune cookies are not a long standing Chinese tradition, they were invented in 1920 in San Francisco
- Dropping chop sticks during a meal is considered bad luck
- Building a house facing north is bad luck
- Great Wall of China is more than 2,000 years old and is 4,500 miles long
Color Representation in China
|Red||Good fortune and positivity (used around Chinese New Year)|
|Green||Health and fruitfulness|
|Yellow||Believed to be the most beautiful color and was the color of Imperial China|
|Blue-Green||Nature and is associated with the coming of spring|
|White||Used in funerals and symbolizes death|